UKCloud is a major force within IT for the UK public sector. It has 20% of the G-Cloud IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) market and has been involved in more than 200 transformation projects.
Its client, a high-profile government department, planned to move to a fully-managed cloud environment in three years. However, its current hardware was end-of-life — and so a new platform was needed fast. Huge amounts of sensitive records also had to be migrated safely and with zero disruption.
UKCloud was happy to host a new platform but the government department didn’t wish to own any hardware.
Both organisations needed a trusted IT specialist to step in with a bold and flexible solution. CAE were up for the challenge.
What was the challenge?
- Government department planned to switch to a fully-serviced cloud environment in three years
- But its existing hardware was end-of-life and a stop-gap solution was required right away
- Vast amounts of sensitive records needed moving safely to a new platform — but the department didn’t wish to own any hardware
- CAE uses its Unstructured Data Solutions (UDS) expertise to design a robust, bespoke private cloud.
- CAE’s commercial innovation and flexibility sees it becoming a platform-as-a-service (PaaS) provider for the first time.
- Government client gets what it wanted: An on-premise platform with cloud-like consumption and billing.
- Migration of petabytes of sensitive data is completed successfully